Centres of excellence in doctoral training 14 March 2012
Are Doctoral Training Centres the way forward?
- Day 1
- Start time
- All Researchers (practice)
- Dr Bryn Jones - Dean of Postgraduate Studies, Newcastle University
Dr Gail de Blaquiere - Postgraduate Skills Development Programme Manager, Newcastle University
This workshop will introduce the national context for the support of doctoral students, and its implementation at Newcastle University (with a focus on science and engineering). The facilitators will then present hypotheses around which discussions and feedback will be organised.
The workshop will explore whether discipline focussed doctoral training centres are seen as more prestigious than institutional graduate schools, whether this might engender increased by-in from academics, who might then accept a greater degree of structure in exchange for membership, leading to a more integrated training environment and an improved doctoral student experience.
This session will cover:
- How we got to where we are
- Discussions around the merits and challenges of doctoral training centres
- Feedback and conclusions
The facilitators will provide a brief presentation to set context and then present hypotheses for discussion. Participants would be expected to contribute views and opinions based on their own experience and bring in examples from their own institutions.
- Have explored views around the place and value of doctoral training centres in HEIs
- Have considered the merits and challenges that such centres offer for doctoral training
- Be aware of the variation in these views, and the consensus