Engineering Young Entrepreneurs Scheme (YES)
- Loughborough University
- Date first submitted:
- 25 Nov 2009
- Date last modified:
- 3 Nov 2010
- Personal effectiveness
- Knowledge exchange
- Enterprise-related activities
- Career development
- Postgraduate researchers
- Doctoral researchers
- Research staff
Rationale, aims and outcomes
What is the rationale for doing this?
How does it fit with institutional strategy?
What are the main features of the provision?
What are the aims and expected outcomes?
Three-day competition to give researchers the opportunity to work with a team of peers to produce a business plan for an imaginary start-up company. Develops enterprise and commercial awareness, awareness of IP, experience of working under pressure, access to industry experts.
Orgnaisation involved Loughborough University, Univesrity of Nottingham, organisation contribution by Rotary Club of Loughborough Beacon
In 2010 teams from Loughborough University, University of Nottingham, University of Birmingham and De Montfort University took part.
- Commercial awareness, IP, entreprise skills
- Awareness of business environment, marketing, finance
- Improve teamworking, communication, presentation skills
- Increase knowledge of business and industry
- Preparation for career in business and/or increasing awareness of what this would involve.
Are there any pre-requisites for engagement, e.g. levels of skill, years of experience, essential pre-activities?
How many participate in each 'activity'?
- Attendance at brefing day one month in advance.
- Participants can apply as individuals or teams
- Relevant to PGR students and research staff.
Evaluation: benefits, challenges and next steps
How do you monitor effectiveness?
Who do you seek feedback from?
Do you have benchmarks?
- Intensive training
- Access to experts
- Prizes for winners, including teamwork prize
- Rotary club had access to experts/sourced speakers and helped to run event
- Getting speakers and mentors
- Competition ran between two Universities in 2009, expected to be regional/national competition 2010 onwards