Leadership, Research & You
- University of Bath
- South West and Wales
- Date first submitted:
- 14 Sep 2010
- Date last modified:
- 28 Sep 2010
- Personal effectiveness
- Academic practice
- Career development
- Postgraduate researchers
- Research staff
Rationale, aims and outcomes
What is the rationale for doing this?
How does it fit with institutional strategy?
What are the main features of the provision?
What are the aims and expected outcomes?
The course was developed as a result of the CROS 2008 survey in which RS expressed the need for Leadership development.
-4 days of training over 4 months at an external venue
-2 hours of 1-1 coaching per participant
-participants meet in triads in between training days
- Explored and expanded your personal leadership style
- Learned how to establish a sound environment for learning and teamwork
- Clarified your focus and direction as a leader – for yourself and the people around you
- Practiced leading and working in teams with different dynamics
- Learned how to communicate effectively using practical coaching skills
- Practiced giving and receiving useful feedback – even in difficult situations
- Developed compelling ways to enact what you learn
Are there any pre-requisites for engagement, e.g. levels of skill, years of experience, essential pre-activities?
How many participate in each 'activity'?
no pre-requisites for Research Staff, PhD students need to be at least in the 3rd year of their course.
Up to 14 people can take part
Evaluation: benefits, challenges and next steps
How do you monitor effectiveness?
Who do you seek feedback from?
Do you have benchmarks?
By regularly practicing the learning from this programme, participants will be able to:
- Align their own interests with those of the people around them – to exert influence
- Lead themselves and their team with integrity
- Stay focussed on what is really important
- Contribute to the development of themselve and the people around them
- Be able to communicate honestly, directly and take responsibility for their impact
- Work in, and lead, teams and groups without taking ALL the responsibility
- Create practical and honest professional relationships
- Back this up with rigorous and practical action planning
This course has been developed and run together with Jamie McDonald. In the Academic year 2010/11 we will run the course again, with minor changes and more 'in-house' involvement. From 2011/12 onwards the course will be run completely in -house