- University of Durham
- Yorkshire and North East
- Date first submitted:
- 27 Oct 2008
- Date last modified:
- 24 Mar 2011
- Relationship to RDF:
- Domain A: Knowledge and intellectual abilities
- Domain B: Personal effectiveness
- Personal Qualities
- Professional and career development
- Domain C: Research governance and organisation
- Domain D: Engagement, influence and impact
- HR-related activities
- Career development
- Research staff
Impact Level 2: Learning
Knowledge of interview styles and questions and how best to approach answering these.
Impact Level 4: Outcomes
Researchers should have more success at interview than they would otherwise have had.
Rationale, aims and outcomes
What is the rationale for doing this?
How does it fit with institutional strategy?
What are the main features of the provision?
What are the aims and expected outcomes?
To help research staff to prepare for interviews more effectively
This session complements sessions on CVs, Application forms and Mock Assessment Centres but is especially good preparation for the Academic Mock Interview Panel exercise.
By the end of this session participants will:-
- Be aware of different styles of interview know what employers are looking for from candidates
- know what preparation is required have examples of the questions you may be asked
- have discussed strategies for answering questions effectively
- be able to prepare for a future simulated mock panel interview
Are there any pre-requisites for engagement, e.g. levels of skill, years of experience, essential pre-activities?
How many participate in each 'activity'?
postdoctoral research staff of durham university only
ideally about 12
Evaluation: benefits, challenges and next steps
How do you monitor effectiveness?
Who do you seek feedback from?
Do you have benchmarks?
Researchers get a better idea of the types of questions that will be asked and what is considered a good answer.
Getting students to talk positively about an experience they feel is unimportant - encouraged through discussion and reassurance