Vitae is primarily funded through the Research Careers and Diversity Unit of Research Councils UK (RCUK). The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) – the largest of the research councils – manages the contract on behalf of the other councils which include:
- Arts and Humanities Research Board (AHRC)
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Science Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
The £15 million contract was awarded in August 2007 and runs until the end of 2012.