- Previous events
- Manchester GRADschool: Making an Impact: Engagement, Policy & Social Media
Manchester GRADschool: Making an Impact: Engagement, Policy & Social Media01 May 2012 - 04 May 2012
Making in impact inside and outside of academia is an important skill for today's effective researcher. In fact for many UK grant and fellowship applications the ability to consider and demonstrate how you will achieve excellence with research impact is essential criteria. From academic impact to engagement, policy and social media, this 3.5 days, interactive, non-residential, GRADschool, hosted by The University of Manchester, gives you the opportunity to:
- Collaborate with researchers from a range of disciplines and backgrounds.
- Explore what impact means in the research environment and beyond for society, economy, and people.
- Develop your personal effectiveness and enhance a host of skills including - communication, team working, project planning, and decision-making.
- Challenge your assumptions and raise your self and social awareness.
- Develop your creative and innovative capabilities and produce an impact resource for use by other early career researchers.
All that and our keynote speaker is Dr Inger Mewburn - aka the Thesis Whisperer (http://thethesiswhisperer.wordpress.com/ and @thesiswhisperer). Inger will share her thoughts and experience on using social media to make an impact. Inger is employed at RMIT in Melbourne to support research students. However she does far more than that. Through her blog and through personal contacts, often using social media, she supports and gives wise counsel to graduate researchers throughout the world. This is one talk you do not want to miss!
How can I register my interest?
Places on the Manchester GRADschool are highly sought after. Before applying, please ensure that you can commit to the full 3.5 days and that your Supervisor is aware of your intentions. To apply for a place on the Manchester GRADschool 2012, please complete an Application of Interest by Wednesday 25 April. If you have any queries please contact Alex Hinchliffe email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 0161 306 4188
University of Manchester
- Postgraduate researchers.
- The University of Manchester
- University of Manchester
Staff House, Sackville Street, The University of Manchester
For directions, click here.
Free for University of Manchester postgraduates.
For postgraduates from other institutions, this GRADschool costs £250 to attend. This includes attendance at the full 3.5 day programme, refreshments and lunch on each day and optional evening activities. Participants will be expected to cover their own accomodation costs if this is required.
- Support for reasonable travel expenses can be provided by the GRADschool team
- The GRADschool team can help participants locate a local hotel within their budget if overnight accomodation is required
- Check with the training contacts in your university to see if they can fund your place (contact email@example.com if you are struggling to find your local contact)
- Check with your supervisor to see if they can fund your place using one of their grants
Evening activities will be provided at local venues.
- Read the article in The Independent 'Postgraduate' - Out of the ivory towers - how PhD students are training for the real world, describes how GRADschools help to prepare postgraduate researchers for the job market.
- Read the article in GRADBritain, Issue 7, Spring 09 Ed - Postgraduate group therapy - Gillian Urquhart (Edinburgh) offers her personal reflections on her GRADSchool experience
- RCUK Pathways to Impact