Pathways: Careers options for researchers (Day 1)08 June 2012
What is Pathways?
Two days focusing on supporting PhDs and research staff in whatever career they want to follow. You can choose to go along to either or both days, whatever suits your needs.
Day 1 (Friday 8 June): Career Options - a chance for delegates to question PhD qualified professionals from a wide variety of sectors, roles and organisations. Participants can choose to attend 5 from 40 available expert panel sessions.
Day 2 (Wednesday 13 June): PhD & Researcher Career Zone @ The Graduate Fair - an exhibition of organisations who are particularly interested in recruiting people with a PhD. Attendees can also access independent advice from careers consultants with specialist knowledge of the researcher employment market.
- attracts over 500 delegates each year from the broadest range of academic disciplines
- welcomes approximately 100 guest speakers, facilitators and tutors
Pathways was shortlisted for a Times Higher Award for Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers in 2009. The feedback from previous events has been overwhelming and revealed that participants feel more confident, more aware of their career options and have a new sense of direction for their studies and futures. Comments from previous delegates include:
- ‘I have a clearer picture of things ahead'
- ‘I have new focus and inspiration!'
- ‘Such a wide range of friendly experts to talk to'
For more detailed programme information, visit
To book your place, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Postgraduate researchers.
- University of Manchester
Please see event website for details. For travel directions to the University of Manchester, click here.
This event is free for University of Manchester researchers .
For researchers from other North West universities, a small charge will be levied to cover administrative and catering costs for day 1 of £30. This special delegate rate for researchers in the North West includes lunch, refreshments and conference materials. Institutions can arrange group bookings and pay by cheque either pre or post event. Alternatively individual students must pay by cash on the day.
The PhD & Researcher Career Zone at the Graduate Fair on day 2 is free entry for all researchers
- Check with the training contacts in your university to see if they can fund your place (contact email@example.com if you are struggling to find your local contact)
- Check with your supervisor to see if they can fund your place using one of their grants