- Supervisors & managers
- Leadership development for principal investigators
- Research environment
- Legal requirements
Your institution will no doubt provide training on a number of these requirements, providing clarification in a research context in your institution. Such training is often mandatory but even if it isn't then it's well worth attending because, as a principal investigator (PI) or manager, there are significant areas of legislation that you must adhere to.
There are two points that you may wish to consider about legislation:
- you can't be expected to become an expert in the area, but a basic understanding is essential for a good PI
- there are experts around in your institution. If you have the slightest uncertainty or concern then contact them immediately. They are happy to answer what you may consider to be trivial questions if it means that they don't have to answer difficult ones at a tribunal.
For further information and guidance on the main issues, you may find the following links helpful:
- Equality Challenge Unit (equality and diversity)
- Health and Safety Executive
- Governance of good research conduct (RCUK)
- IP and patents: PraxisUnico | Intellectual Property Office
- HM Revenue and Customs
- Concordat - Vitae briefing for managers of researchers [PDF]
Comment on this page.