Placements / Internships guidelines
Internships that work (CIPD) gives comprehensive guidance to help employers start an internship scheme or improve their existing programme. It covers all the main issues surrounding internships, including:
- helping interns and businesses get the most out of internships
- guidance on how much to pay interns
- the best way to recruit interns
- creating a good induction process for interns
- effective ways to supervise and support interns
- how to structure short- and long-term internships.
Skillset's Guidelines for Employers offering Work Placement Schemes in the Creative Industries, produced in collaboration with the Creative & Cultural Skills and Arts Council England, aim to promote good practice and clarify the various entry routes.
The guidelines include recommendations on:
- limiting work experience placements to no more than 160 hours and reimbursing expenses
- paying at least the National Minimum Wage for anyone on a graduate internship
- limiting the working week of trainees and interns to 40 hours.