Leadership in Action12 December 2011 - 14 December 2011
Is this course right for you?
This 3 day non-residential course will allow you to explore and develop your leadership skills. You will have the opportunity to look at relevant theory, practice your leadership style and receive feedback.
Attending this course would be relevant for you if you answer ‘yes' to one or more of the following questions.
Do you want to...
- develop your leadership skills?
- explore the concept of leadership?
- build confidence in your own leadership style?
- learn more about your strengths and weaknesses
- understand your personal values and how you make decisions
- recognise your achievements and how to use these to create future success
- give yourself more choices in how you lead?
- understand the impact you have on those who you are leading
- develop and maintain a sense of direction
- influence people towards a common goal/purpose
- identify how these skills can benefit you in your current role?
What will it involve?
The course will be attended by up to 36 researchers from the Midlands Hub Hub regions, from different disciplines and career stages. The course will be led by a team of experienced facilitators who will work with you throughout the 3 days to support your learning. They will be from a variety of backgrounds with experience in leadership, academia and other sectors.
This course takes a ‘learning by doing' approach. There will be presentations on leadership theory, but for the most part, you will be actively participating in the sessions and activities.
This is an intensive 3 day non-residential course. When registering for the course you will be expected to attend for the full duration.
What's in it for you?
This course offers you the opportunity to:
- explore leadership both in theory and in practice
- work with a team of experienced facilitators from a range of career backgrounds, who will ensure you get the most out of the 3 days
- meet researchers from a variety of disciplines, backgrounds and career stages
- develop your understanding of leadership theory and how to apply it in practice
- receive feedback on your leadership style and how you can develop it
- take a few days out from your research both physically and mentally, and have some space in which to consider yourself and your next steps
University of Warwick, Westwood Teaching Centre
University of Warwick
- Postgraduate researchers.
- Vitae Midlands Hub
- Siobhan Watts
- University of Warwick, Westwood Teaching Centre
The course will be held at the Westwood Teaching Centre, Westwood Campus, University of Warwick.
Please note this is a non-residential course, however you can book accommodation on campus through Warwick Conferences. One of the facilities, Arden Training and Conference Centre, is also located on the Westwood Campus and is ideally located for the Westwood Teaching Centre. For further information and booking please use the following link:
Local Bed and Breakfast and Hotel accomodation can be found at:
This event is open to research staff and postgraduate researchers, subject to availability.
Places will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis and once all of the places are full, applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
Places on this course are charge at £50 per participant, however, many universities will cover the cost of this training - please check with your local training/skills department. Participants will need to cover their own travel/accomodation expenses where required.
Book a place...
This course is now full, however, a waiting list is in operation. Waiting List
Once you have been confirmed a place on this course, you will next hear from us 3-4 weeks before the course when the Vitae team will send you the pre-course information.
Please note that there may be a small amount of pre-course preparation involved.
If you have not received any information two weeks before the course, or if you have any questions between now and the event please contact Siobhan Watts.