Help your researcher in the writing up stage by setting up regular meetings to discuss progress and review the work they have written up so far.
Encourage your researcher to:
- read and review other theses to get ideas on style and structure
- make a plan of all the sections and chapters in their thesis
- check regulations for finishing dates
- set clear goals for each day/week
- establish a routine and take regular short breaks
- ask colleagues and friends to review drafts and help proof read
Here are some questions that might be useful when reviewing drafts:
- Does the content match the title?
- Are important points emphasised enough?
- Is the content within each section appropriate?
- Is there a logical sequence?
- Are information sources acknowledged?
- Do the conclusions relate to the objectives?
- Is the meaning of each sentence clear - or open to interpretation?