‘I attended the ‘Leadership in Action' course expecting to pick up a few tips, the odd insight. I left 6 inches taller, with increased confidence, team skills and satisfaction’
This three day residential programme has been Vitae's most popular event ever since its launch in 2009. It allows researchers (doctoral researchers and research staff) to explore and develop their leadership skills. Participants have the opportunity to look at relevant theory, practice their unique leadership styles and receive feedback.
Benefits for researchers
This programme provides researchers the opportunity to:
- develop an understanding of leadership theory and how to apply it in practice
- explore leadership in theory and in practice
- understand personal strengths and weaknesses
- recognise achievements and how to use these to create future success
- understand the impact of leadership styles on those who are being lead
- influence people towards a common goal/purpose
- recognise personal values and how these affect decisions
- identify how these skills can be of benefit.
- work with a team of experienced facilitators from a range of career backgrounds
- engage with researchers from a variety of disciplines, backgrounds and career stages
- receive feedback on personal leadership styles and identify how these can be further developed.
Feedback from past courses shows that 96% of participants would recommend the programme to other researchers.
‘The content sessions were, without exception, interesting and gave real insights into different elements of leadership. I realised much of my leadership style is subconscious, and these sessions allowed me to analyse my own style, identifying both positives and negatives. The course tutors were incredibly knowledgeable and approachable, and their diverse backgrounds gave real depth to the course content.’
What does it involve?
Up to 60 researchers from different disciplines and at different career stages take part in the programme. It is led by a team of experienced facilitators who work with participants throughout the three days to support learning. The facilitators are from a variety of backgrounds with experience in leadership, academia and other sectors.
This programme takes an experiential approach. It includes presentations on leadership theory, but for the most part researchers actively participate in the sessions and activities.
‘Intensive, draining, useful, tiring, inspiring, motivational, best course that no one whether a researcher or academic should do without!’
This event is for research staff and doctoral researchers. The fee is £730+VAT and participants are expected to attend for the duration of the programme. This covers expert coaching and facilitation, materials, accommodation and all meals. Travel to the venue is not included.
Book your place on the 2013 Leadership in Action programme.
‘In the challenge we practised what we were learning in a completely unstructured way, and is why the course is not merely excellent but superlative.’
Leadership in Action November 2011 podcast
Find out what our November 2011 participants thought of their experience on a Vitae National Leadership in Action course. Hear why they decided to join, what their expectations were, thoughts on the activities and talks throughout and exactly what they will take away from their experience.