The engaging researcher30 June 2011
Audience: Postgraduate researchers and Research staff
Keen to engage the public with your research but not sure where to begin?
An engaging researcher is just like any other researcher - with one important difference. Engaging researchers go out of their way to involve the public with their research. They open up opportunities for others to get involved, provide new perspectives on the value of their work, and stimulate people to be curious about the world of research - and why it matters.
This one day highly interactive workshop has been designed for researchers who are new to, or have some experience with public engagement. During the workshop, participants will:
- Explore how public engagement can benefit you, your research, research funders and the public with whom you engage
- Discover the huge range of activities you can use to engage the public with your research
- Investigate the needs of different publics, explore potential engagement barriers, and identify solutions for overcoming them
- Explore methods for evaluating the impact and success of public engagement activities.
- Put your knowledge and skills into action to design and plan a public engagement activity.
- Examine which public engagement activities complement your current skills and what will help you develop your skills further
- Learn how to take the next steps in finding public engagement contacts and opportunities
- Collaborate with peers from a range of disciplines across the North West
Previous participants said about this workshop:
- "Very enjoyable, useful and thought provoking"
- "Good starting point for thinking about how to use public engagement with my own research, about potential barriers and ways to overcome them."
Please note booking for this course has now closed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be contacted about future courses in this area.
- Postgraduate researchers.
- Vitae NW Hub
Liverpool John Moores University
Art and Design Academy, Duckinfield Street, Off Brownlow Hill, Liverpool, L3 5YD
For travel directions, click here.
Free to attend, refreshments and lunch will be provided
Participants will be expected to cover their own travel costs