Advancing in Academia - September 12 September 2011
Bookings now closed - click here to register your interest for future courses and events
This interactive one-day event is aimed at postdoctoral researchers / early career researchers. It will enable you to:
- review the current higher education environment
- meet with successful academics from a range of disciplines to hear how they advanced their academic career
- understand the balance required between skills, achievements and building your professional profile
- review where you are in your career, where you want to be and how to get there
- ask questions that you've always wanted to but weren't sure who to ask network with fellow researchers
- develop an action plan to strategically manage your career.
The research carried out by the UK's higher education sector is held in extremely high regard by the international community. In producing 8% of the world's scientific papers and 13% of the world's most highly cited works, the UK ranks second only to the USA. The UK's research staff are central to this achievement*.
Like most careers, there are many elements that are required in order to develop a successful academic career and these are not always transparent. This event addresses how to succeed in a competitive and complex research environment and will allow you to think about the pros and cons of different career options available.
*What are HEI research staff for?, Rugby Team, 2007
Thistle Hotel, Birmingham
St Chad's, Queensway
- Research staff
- Audience: postdoctoral researchers / early career researchers | Location: Birmingham, Thistle Hotel | Bookings CLOSED
2011 example programme
The venue this year will take place in Birmingham at the Thistle Hotel.
Open and free to all postdoctoral researchers / early career researchers within the UK.
Next steps once you have submitted your form...
Once we have received your application for the course, we will be in touch within 4 weeks of the course with further event details (including a draft programme for the event) and supporting administrative information (how to get to the venue etc...).
If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks before the start of the event, please contact Michael at Michael.Duignan@vitae.ac.uk
or alternatively call on: +44 1223 448 509.
Please note: Cancellation conditions apply. Failure to cancel your place within 48 hours of the start of the event, or turn up awill incur in a £45 fine to cover the cost of your place on event.
Have you visited the rest of the Vitae website? We have some fantastic resources for researcher development and insight.
Interested in our other courses but they are not open for booking? Register your interest for advanced notification of when bookings open.