The following first degree and doctoral subjects may increase your chances:
- Business studies
- Information science/management
- Social administration/public administration
A pre-entry postgraduate qualification is not needed, although a professional qualification or higher degree, particularly one directly related, such as an MBA in higher education management, may help in progressing to the higher grades.
For some roles, pre-entry formal office experience may be essential. For senior grades, a minimum of three years' experience in an administrative capacity is usually required. At all levels, previous experience in public sector administration may increase your chances.
Potential candidates will need to show evidence of the following:
- The ability to deal positively with change
- Strong interpersonal skills, to relate effectively with others at different levels including students, academics and colleagues in other areas of education administration
- Good written communication skills
- Being a good team member
- The ability to prioritise and manage time effectively
- IT skills including word processing, spreadsheets, databases and use of the internet;
- A demonstrable interest in the education sector
This is a competitive sector. Evidence of relevant experience is important, for example involvement in university life, committee work, student recruitment activities or participation in skills development schemes and mentoring. These activities also demonstrate an interest in, and familiarity with, this sector. Temporary work and work shadowing are excellent ways to pick up skills and experience.
All doctoral graduates from 2006 to 2009 who were working in this job six months after completing their doctorate were employed in higher education.
The most common disciplinary backgrounds for doctoral graduates (2006-2009) entering the role were:
- Academic studies in education
- Business studies
Experience and skills are more important for entry into this role than doctoral subject. Doctoral graduates from any subject are eligible providing they have the right skills and experiences.