Setting up a website around your research topic presents a powerful opportunity for networking.
Websites are good for:
- self promotion, as they allow you to present yourself and your research in the way you choose
- creating a description of your research that can be found by other researchers via a search
- making available resources that you want to make public
- extending the scope of a business card or email by giving someone a way to find out more about you
- creating a semi-permanent repository for your work.
Websites can also:
- take up a lot of your time
- giving you the illusion of an audience that you need to check exists.