As an alternative to setting up your own website you might want to consider using a blogging tool to run a research blog.
Blogs are a good way to:
- keep a research diary
- allow you to publish thoughts/work with minimal technical skills
- provide you with an appropriate medium for work-in-progress discussions
- provide other researchers/interested parties with a way to comment on what you are doing.
Blogs can also:
- lull you into a false sense of privacy
- allow/encourage you to make things public before they are ready
- take up your time
If you are interested in blogging you may find that your institution can provide you with access to a blogging tool and many are available for free.