International Conference on Science Communication02 September 2012 - 07 September 2012
The University of Lorraine (Nancy, France) is inviting 100 budding researchers to take part in a two-day training event as well as the International Conference on Science Communication (from 2 to 7 September). Participants will learn about science communication in workshops supervised by professionals, after which they will attend the entire conference.
Date: September 2 - 7, 2012
Place: Nancy (France)
Open to: all PhD. students, whatever their discipline and nationality
PhD. Students are invited to choose one among the 10 proposed workshops
- scientific films and video
- the radio, from the interview to the recording studio
- writing workshops
- theatre and the sciences
- the work of the clown
- designing an exhibition
- hands-on science with a young audience
- the graphic arts and cartoons for science
- the Web, blogs and social networks
The workshops aim to raise participants' awareness of the different tools used by science communicators. Beyond learning how to use these tools, the training will allow them to reflect on the context of their use and their limits, how to assess the tools and the audience they can be used with.
In each workshop, student groups will produce practical applications, and their work will be integrated into a collective medium (logbook, blog...) produced specifically in the framework of the training event. Each workshop will be run by 3 or 4 experts specialised in the use of the tool considered: scientific film director, stage director, science illustrator, journalist...
Sunday, September 2: arrival of the PhD. Students in Nancy, supported by PhD. Students from Lorraine. In the evening: reception, introductory conference and evening meal together.
Monday, September 3: Meeting the professionals running the workshops and research teams. Group work all day.
Tuesday, September 4: Workshops all morning and early afternoon. The rest of the afternoon spent sharing workshop outcomes with the other groups. Opening conference in the evening.
Wednesday 5 to Friday 7 September: attending conferences and sessions of the International Conference on Science Communication.
How to register:
- These training days are free (including training, accommodation, meals and local transport, conference registration)
- PhD. Students wishing to participate are invited to register on this form online at:
http://www.jhc2012.eu/index.php/en/post-graduate-study-days until April 13, 2012.
- A letter of motivation and a letter of agreement of the supervisor or laboratory director, and a copy of student card, are to be attached to any application.
- Successful applicants will be informed by mail in April 2012 and must confirm their attendance by return mail.
All PhD students will receive a certificate of attendance enabling them to have these training days recognised by their graduate schools.
- Postgraduate researchers.
- University of Lorraine
- Nancy, France