How we work
Organisational membership is available to Higher Education and research institutions internationally. Other organisations with a commitment to the development of researchers may be eligible for affiliate membership. See our pages about membership.
Most of our events are aimed at those with responsibility for supporting the professional and career development of researchers. As well as our annual international researcher development conference we run a series of smaller Vitae Connections events dedicated to sharing practice and continuing professional development, each having a specific theme. A springtime series of networking seminars is one way for our members to input to our programme for the following academic year.
Our programme of events is based on input from our members.
We provide leading edge, high quality training courses, specifically designed for researchers, and train the trainer programmes to build sustainable capacity for your organisation - using a variety of delivery methods.
- We can deliver workshops on topics to suit you and your researchers, using an interactive and experiential approach, with optional virtual support
- We have a number of established programmes for all stages of the researcher journey, from beginning research to developing a research career
- We can develop tailored training programmes suited to your needs or specific topics, recent examples include:
- Becoming an enterprising researcher
- A mentoring approach to research supervision
- Building your research profile.
- Our train-the-trainer method has been tried and tested internationally and enables an institution to build in-house capabilities and drive innovation in the training of researchers. Participants practice co-facilitating and experience a workshop from a participant perspective, with additional support including optional, ongoing mentoring and recognition of trainers by Vitae.
Vitae can work with your organisation in an advisory role to address your specific needs on policy and researcher development provision. Vitae offers consultancy in areas such as:
- Benchmarking and organisational gap analysis
- Strategy and policy development
- Talent management and development
- Training of trainers to build sustainable organisational capacity
- Doctoral training programmes
- Employer engagement strategy
- Recognition of training, researchers and organisations
- Evaluation of the impact of professional development
- Partnering with organisations on funding bids.
We work in many ways with other organisations with a stake in researchers' professional development. Recent partnerships have included co-development of new resources, joint research projects, event sponsorship, mutual promotion agreements and paid advertising.
This online app is a powerful professional development tool that can help individual researchers to identify strengths, action plan, review achievements and create a portfolio of evidence. It's available through subscription to organisations or to individuals and is designed to be portable if the user moves roles. The Planner is based on the globally acclaimed Vitae Researcher Development Framework.
Vitae organisational members are eligible for a discounted subscription. Organisations can also request a free trial and can purchase a subscription for all or for a sub-set of their researchers.
Benefits for organisations include:
- Records of assessment and progress can be used in career conversations
- Signpost researchers directly to institution’s courses and resources
- Access to Vitae support, guides and resources to engage researchers in professional development and career planning