Career planning cycle
1. Assess and review
This is asking questions such as:
- what matters to the individual about their job and how it fits into their life?
- what parts of their current job do they particularly like or dislike?
- are there any limitations to their choice of career path?
This can involve researching:
- careers that meet the individual's needs and ambitions
- occupations that would use their skills and experiences
- identifying development needs.
3. Set goals
This is considering how the individual will gain:
- additional skills
...o enable them to work towards career goals, eg attending a training course, seeking new responsibilities at work, or contacting people who work in a certain area.
4. Take action
This is ensuring that actions identified in stage three are carried through.