Mentoring and coaching: East of England Membership networking seminar
University of Hertfordshire, Law Court Buildong (Room W040), de Havilland Campus, Hatfield, AL10 9EU
Click here to view presentation slides
Click here to view resources
Registration with refreshments
Welcome and introduction
Exploration of the theme
- What are the different types of mentoring and coaching relationships? A look at the University of Hertfordshire models
- How to manage the mentoring life cycle; from starting and maintaining to ending mentoring relationships to include terms of reference, guidelines, work time allocation.
- What are the purposes and benefits of mentoring and coaching? Interactive discussion
- How can you take advantage of mentoring and coaching to support your professional and career development? Formal and informal relationships, career planning, etc
- Where and how can you find a mentor or coach? How to set up a local mentoring scheme, using SUMAC as a data base for mentoring/coaching partnerships.
- Vitae resources around mentoring and coaching
Lunch and networking (with tea/coffee)
Update on recent policy developments in the UK and Europe, including:
- Impact of the Green Paper and the Nurse review of RCUK
- Professional doctorates
- PRES consultation
- Reach of the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers
- Enhancing the HR Excellence in Research Award
- Open, transparent and merit-based recruitment (OTMR)
- Horizon 2020 cross-cutting issues
Participants will also have the opportunity to discuss the changing landscape of researcher development, taking into account local to international influence.
Participants are invited to help shape the Vitae programme for 2016/17 by discussing their interests and raising priority topics for consideration.
This session will also include a recap of how members shaped the 2015/16 programme.