Future Directions for the development of researchers: Next Generation of Leaders in Scotland
A Vitae event
Supported by and University of Stirling
Stirling Court Hotel, Wednesday 1 June 2016
Building on earlier successful Vitae events in January and April, this event will focus on leadership and how to develop the next generation of researchers in a Scottish context. In particular, we will look at the development of research leaders through cohort building, cross-sectoral networks, and collaborative approaches. Speakers and participants will explore how to foster excellence in leadership development in Scotland, including case studies of what is already being done and considering what more could be done to push this agenda forward.
In order to sustain and grow the quality and impact of research activity, the HE sector must invest in the development of its research leaders at all level in their careers. These researchers are the innovation powerhouse of universities and often take this innovation into business through various knowledge transfer schemes or indeed through employment outwith the HE sector. Therefore, enabling researchers to realise their leadership potential creates benefits for the HE sector but also for society and the economy.
There are crucial questions for Scotland in meeting the need for efficient and effective development of researchers’ leadership talent, such as:
- How do the current training, experiences and opportunities effectively meet the needs of the leadership of the future in different sectors?
- Does the national climate enable and empower early career academics, research staff and doctoral researchers to meet their leadership potential?
- Do the available development opportunities respect and include the diversity of individuals and the diversity of future career paths?
Outcomes of attending this event
Senior managers and research leaders:
- be aware of strategic implications for efficient and effective leadership development of researchers as leaders
- ensure your researchers receive the professional development they need to reach their potential as future research, academic, and cross-sector leaders
- enhance the quality of leadership development in your institution
- enhance your understanding of leadership development and talent management
- design relevant and well-informed training and development opportunities to help your researchers achieve their leadership goals
- assess the leadership development climate of your institution
- invest in your own professional development
Vitae membership discount is available for this event.
This event is open to all stakeholders in the professional development of researchers as aspiring leaders, including researcher developers, staff developers, careers advisors, research managers, representatives of funding councils and charities, supervisors and principal investigators, senior academics and managers.
Continuing Professional Development
Vitae CPD certification is available for this event and would provide appropriate evidence against the Careers Framework for Researcher Developers (CFRD), for example, in ‘Underpinning Knowledge’ and ‘Leadership and Engagement’.