Leadership in researcher development: Vitae Connections
A Vitae event
Thursday 28 April 2016
Leadership has been identified as a core area of the professional development of researcher developers. The Career Framework for Researcher Developers (CFRD) includes elements relating to thought leadership and innovation in developing researchers. For example, CFRD mentions ‘setting a strategic direction’, ‘influencing’, ‘leading networks, collaborations and partnerships’, ‘leading on local, regional and national policy development’, and ‘securing funding’. The development of leadership capabilities is therefore vital in fulfilling many responsibilities of excellent researcher development, including being able to apply first-hand knowledge of leadership to the development of researchers as leaders, working with related national and international policy, and through an innovative and strategic approach.
This one-day professional development event, part of our ongoing Leadership Focus, aims to develop the leadership capabilities of staff supporting researchers, both in the UK and internationally. Content will be delivered through theory and practice, as well as providing opportunities for networking and discussion. The morning sessions will focus on the professional development of leadership capabilities and the afternoon sessions will focus on how researcher developers can apply their leadership knowledge to developing and supporting researchers to be future leaders.
7 fascinating topics:
- Leadership in practice: Case studies of being a leader as a researcher developer
- Leading researcher development through the HR Excellence in Research Award and Human Resources Strategy for Researchers
- Developing your leadership capabilities using the Career Framework for Researcher Developers (CFRD)
- Growing future leadership: Case studies of researcher development provision for leadership
- Vitae resources, including Preparing for Leadership, Leadership in Action, and Developing the Next Generation
- Approaches to developing researchers for leadership
- Raising the bar for leadership provision for researchers; an opportunity to put your leadership capabilities into practice
This event will be particularly relevant for staff supporting research staff, both in the UK and globally, and is open to all stakeholders in the professional development of researchers as aspiring leaders, including researcher developers, staff developers, careers advisors, research managers, representatives of funding councils and charities, senior academics and managers.
7 benefits of attending this event
- understand the opportunities for leadership within researcher development roles
- identify your own leadership competencies and aspirations
- put your leadership competencies into practice
- invest in your own professional development
- network and collaborate with colleagues
- design relevant and well-informed training and development opportunities to help your researchers achieve their leadership goals
- apply Vitae leadership resources to your context
“My learning at this event, will influence the design and delivery of activities to support researchers ...The resources that I have become aware of will be signposted to researchers at my institution. I might even write a blog post!” Vitae Connections participant 2015
The ‘Vitae Connections’ series of events is designed to provide insights, tools and tactics to be more effective in a researcher development role and to support the continuing professional development of staff supporting researchers.
Vitae CPD certification is available for this event and would provide appropriate evidence against the Careers Framework for Researcher Developers (CFRD), for example, in ‘Leadership and Engagement’ and ‘Underpinning Knowledge’.