Vitae EE Hub Preparing for Leadership for Research Staff
This is a joint event organised between the Vitae EE Hub and the University of Cambridge.
Applications for this event are now closed.
Postdoctoral researchers wishing attend this course need to apply for a place. The application process will close on 10th December, after which time we will contact you as soon as possible to let you know if your application has been successful. This is an application process where you will need to submit a short statement demonstrating your motivation for wanting to be a participant on this programme.
- Research staff who are typically within the first 4 years of their postdoctoral career.
- Researchers who are starting to take on leadership roles or who wish to take on more leadership roles in the future.
The programme recognises that:
- Being effective as a researcher requires many varied skills and attributes, which may differ by discipline.
- Postdoctoral researchers may have a lot of responsibility for their projects and work, but often much less authority.
Aims of the programme
- To help you assess your current position.
- To identify where you would like to progress to.
- To identify what it takes to succeed in your current and future roles.
- To have a plan to achieve your goals.
What’s in it for me?
This programme will take participants though many aspects of leadership including:
- Leading self.
- Intellectual leadership.
- Team leadership.
By the end of this programme, you will be better able to:
- Appreciate the critical situations that have led you to be successful to date.
- Consider what leadership might mean.
- Understand yourself and your preferences that will allow you to exercise leadership in a way that suits you.
- Clarify the tasks that are expected of you both now and in future roles.
- Identify the areas of competency that are required for the next steps into leadership positions.
- Create a vision and strategy to implement; decide what is important for you.
- Decide the culture you want to create.
- Decide how to get the best out of other people.
- Decide how to develop yourself to do all of these things more effectively.
- Appreciate what is important and essential in any future role.
- Develop a peer network.
- Focuses on personal development and action coaching therefore you will be asked to help your colleagues find their own solutions to the issues they are facing and encourage them to commit to action. The other participants will be asked to help you in return.
- Experiential, coaching, and action learning focussed. Participants are guided by experienced facilitators, rather than taught.
- This programme will not focus on specific aspects of effective academic practice such as grant writing, publications, or effective presentations.
- If your application is successful, you will be expected to undertake some work before the course. This should take you approximately 4 hours to complete.
The full programme will be available shortly. This is a two day course that will run on 4th and 5th February 2015. You will be expected to commit to attend on both days. PLEASE NOTE: This is a non residential course. Vitae and the University of Cambridge will not be covering the cost of accommodation or travel. You may organise this through your own institution. Please contact us for advice on where to stay.
- Career road map.
- Leadership reading.
- Pre workshop evaluation.