A4 - Researcher Development in a teaching-led institution
|Strand||All Researchers (practice)|
|Presenters||Dr Keith Fildes - Researcher Development Adviser, Sheffield Hallam University|
The workshop covered:
Building institutional capacity for researchers' professional development to maintain research excellence; sustainable practice to support researcher skills, professional and career development.
- commercial pressures on researchers (income over outputs)
- lack of internal recognition/prestige and less clear progression pathways
- a 'brain drain' to teaching-only roles.
- high level of career satisfaction
- engaged, capable and agile researchers
- professionalised PGRs.
- a needs-based and individually-tailored researcher development programme
- integration with learning and teaching CPD provision
- building a research community.
- developed a greater awareness of the challenges facing both researchers and developers in teaching-led institutions
- explored creative approaches to developing researchers in less traditional environments.
Information, practice sharing and whole-group conversation. Participants were encouraged to bring examples from their own institution to the discussion.