B4 - Policy developments in doctoral education: Doctoral Training Centres in strategy and practice
|Presenters||Dr Rebekah Smith McGloin - Doctoral Training Partnership Manager, University of Nottingham|
The workshop covered:
- a SWOT analysis of Doctoral Training Centres including: issues in creating a 2-tier system, cost, complexity, staff engagement, balance between training and research, quality assurance, cross-institutional working and diversity in cohorts
- case studies from a EPSRC CDT and a BBSRC DTP
- key issues arising from building an institutional strategy for Doctoral Training Centres
- experiences from other institutions.
- developed a greater awareness of the challenges and opportunities created by Doctoral Training Centres - at the level of individual centre set-up and delivery and in the context of an institutional strategy development
- explored and shared a range of approaches to Doctoral Training Centre development and delivery.
Information, interaction and discussion. Participants were prepared to share examples from their own institutions during discussion.