C7 - Supporting internationally mobile researchers
The workshop reported on the work being done by two projects to address these issues.
REFIRS is funded by the Higher Education Academy and is looking at incoming internationally-mobile research students' perceptions of the research environment they are entering and how the reality meets these expectations.
ImpactE is funded by the European Commission and is a consortium of 6 European Universities in partnership with Vitae and Epigeum. The project is wide ranging, with a focus on developing tools to assist international mobile researchers to make the cultural and social transitions to work successfully in a new research environment. Strand - All Researchers (practice).
|Strand||All Researchers (practice)|
|Presenters||Dr Lowry McComb - Director of Researcher Development, Durham University
Mrs Louise Atkin - Project Manager, Vitae
The session covered outputs from the projects above including:
- internationally-mobile researchers' expectations
- internationally-mobile researchers' needs to support their transition to a new environment
- methods to support the above
- experiences from other Institutions.
- gained a greater awareness of the challenges facing internationally-mobile researchers
- explored alternative approaches to supporting these researchers in their transition into a new country
Information, interaction and discussion.
Participants were prepared to include examples from their own experience during the discussion.