D5 - Developing the global researcher
|Strand||All Researchers (practice)|
|Presenters||Dr Claire McNulty - Director Science, British Council
Dr Sam Hopkins - Researcher Development Officer, University of Surrey
The workshop covered:
- the view from a EURAXESS local contact point on the benefits of researcher mobility across countries and sectors, and recommendations for increasing this mobility
- an overview of several initiatives which facilitate international researcher mobility, including EURAXESS, AMBER (collaboration with Latin America) and two new British Council projects: Researcher Links and Researcher Connect
- interactive discussion: what do researchers need to become ‘global researchers? What can be done to support them at the international/national/institutional level?
- learned about the importance of international researcher mobility and gained insight into science capacity in emerging economies
- learned about mechanisms to help international researchers coming to the UK and UK researchers wanting to continue their careers abroad
- engaged in a wider discussion around the drivers and barriers to an international research career.
Two short talks (20-30 min) followed by discussion (20 min). Participants were asked to be prepared to share their experiences of the challenges that researchers face and the benefits they gain from international research during the interactive discussion session.