SISA1 - It’s wider than widening participation
Dr Kate Mahoney, Skills Trainer, University of Warwick
Special interest session offering the opportunity to think creatively about the use of PhD Researchers as WP ambassadors. The session will highlight the case of IGGY.net (international gateway for gifted youth) and demonstrate impact the PhD mentor programme on the researchers themselves.
The session will demonstrate how IGGY.net has provided a platform for PhD students to showcase their public engagement skills, trial careers in teaching and also develop their collaboration skills in real time working with online education creators, teachers and pupils.
Participants will be given the opportunity to consider how their own researchers can collaborate with widening participation teams to enhance their impact, develop transferable skills and learn about the importance of sharing their own experiences of university life in order to support student recruitment.
- Thinking wider than widening participation
- Alternative approaches to engagement, influence and impact (RDF dom. D)
- Promoting a talent pipeline through recruiting research ambassadors and supporting interdisciplinarity
- Engaging research leaders, principal investigators and supervisors to transform professional development of researchers and embed professional development in the research environment
- Developing a pipeline of research talent, including widening participation, strategies to attract and retain research talent, and approaches to mainstreaming equality and diversity for researchers in the research environment
- New and successful ways of supporting researchers' mobility including international, inter-sectoral, interdisciplinary and virtual mobility
- Researcher development across boundaries including international collaborations, inter-cultural competences, international researchers' experiences, business/industry collaborations and engaging society through open research.
Participants will leave with
- A plan to work more collaboratively with WP departments
- An understanding of the use of PhD Researchers in supporting schools with gifted and talented education at GCSE and A-level.
- A selection of ideas to kickstart development of public engagement activities for PhD researchers – including a demonstration of the e-learning platform IGGY.net.