A3 - Out in the open: supporting researchers in navigating an open research landscape
Dr Rob Daley, Academic Programme Leader, Heriot-Watt University
Helen Blanchett, Subject specialist, Jisc
Implementing open access and open data in response to funder mandates has had a significant impact on research institutions, in terms of reporting compliance, managing new processes and workflows and changing culture. Researchers, their outputs and their practice are at the heart of the process. Institutions are exploring the best ways to engage researchers and ensure compliance, without losing sight of the true goals of ‘openness’.
This interactive workshop will provide a space to discuss key challenges and solutions in supporting researchers in the open research landscape, with a particular focus on open access and open data.
The workshop will provide an opportunity to learn from other attendees as well as from the facilitators. Helen Blanchett will highlight findings and resources from the Jisc’s Open Access Good Practice ‘pathfinder’ projects, which explored the impact of implementing open access in institutions across the UK. Rob Daley will share his experiences of supporting open data implementation at Heriot-Watt University.
Workshop topics covered:
- Expectations, benefits and challenges pertaining to openness in research (funder expectations, the open access landscape, open data)
- Skills and strategies for openness
- Techniques and tools for working with researchers
- Support for researcher developers
- Engaging research leaders, principal investigators and supervisors to transform professional development of researchers and embed professional development in the research environment
- Researcher development across boundaries including international collaborations, inter-cultural competences, international researchers’ experiences, business/industry collaborations and engaging society through open research.
By the end of the session attendees will have:
- An increased awareness of the issues around open research and the needs of researchers
- Considered the range of skills required and how researchers may gain these
- Evaluated a range of tools to explore and support the needs of researchers
- Shared and discussed specific challenges and solutions to supporting researchers in an open research climate