A1 - Supporting universities in using the developing the next generation leadership development resources
Postgraduate researchers and research staff/talent development
Dr Fiona Denney, Director, Brunel Educational Excellence Centre, Brunel University
Dr Katie Wheat, Training & Resources Development Manager, Vitae
This workshop supports colleagues in using the resources that came out of the Leadership Foundation for HE Efficiency Exchange-funded project, which aimed to uncover what academic and research leaders wish they had known about leadership, management and talent development when they first started. The workshop will take an interactive approach and participants will be encouraged to share their experiences with each other.
Workshop topics covered:
Schedule for the session:
- Introductions and opportunity to share leadership development practices in your organisation
- Review the 'Developing the Next Generation' materials and introduction from the facilitators to the project, methodology and results.
- Undertake the Leadership Climate Analysis Toolkit and discuss in groups the implications of using this.
- Share ideas for how the resources could be used.
- Introduction to other Vitae leadership resources.
- Engaging research leaders, principal investigators and supervisors to transform professional development of researchers and embed professional development in the research environment
- Developing a pipeline of research talent, including widening participation, strategies to attract and retain research talent, and approaches to mainstreaming equality and diversity for researchers in the research environment
- Leadership development of early career researchers including researchers' as leaders in different disciplines
By the end of the workshop, participants should:
- be able to identify and describe the ways in which they would use the resources to support the leadership development of early career researchers and academics in their own institution
- have trialled and discussed the Leadership Climate Analysis Toolkit
- have shared good practice with each other
Format: Interactive workshop