CRAC is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This Policy (together with the Vitae Website User Terms and Conditions and any other documents referred to in them or in this Policy) sets out the basis on which we will process personal information about you when you use the Vitae Website.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is the Careers Research and Advisory Centre (CRAC) Limited (we, us, our). We are a company registered in England and Wales under company number 00825036, a registered charity number 313164, and have our registered office at 1st floor, Sheraton House, Castle Park, Cambridge, CB3 0AX, United Kingdom.
Vitae’s vision is to lead world-class professional and career development of researchers. Vitae is a programme that champions the professional and career development of postgraduate researchers and research staff in higher education institutions and research institutes. Vitae works in partnership with higher education institutions, research organisations, funders, and national organisations to meet society’s need for high-level skills and innovation and producing world-class researchers.
Vitae is managed by CRAC: The Career Development Organisation. CRAC is the independent, UK organisation dedicated to supporting career development and active, career-related learning.
Access to much of the website’s content is restricted to users who have registered on the website, or whose organisation has purchased an Organisational Membership Subscription.
Information we may collect from you
Information we collect and hold about you may include:
- Information that you provide (and, if you are an Organisational Member, that your organisation may provide) to enable you to log on to the Vitae Website (for example your name, organisation, organisation email address, and your identity provider email address and public name as used through the Microsoft Access Control Service (ACS) used to access the Vitae Website) (your User Profile).
- Any information that you input into the Vitae Website or which is inputted by another person with your permission, for the purposes of your professional development (your User Data).
- Records of any correspondence with you (for example, queries or requests for technical support)
- Any other information you provide in the course of using the Vitae Website or interacting with us, for administrative or other purposes.
- Details of your membership subscription to the Vitae Website
- Details of your visits to the Vitae Website, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access via the Vitae Website.
Uses made of the information
We may use information held about you in the following ways:
- To provide the Vitae website and any other Vitae Website related information, products or services that you request from us and we agree to provide (including to answer any query or request for technical support received from you)
- For administrative purposes, and to notify you about changes to the Vitae Website and about any other matter concerning your access to the Vitae Website or the information, products or services referred to above.
- To ensure that content from the Vitae Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes, and have not subsequently withdrawn consent by clicking on an “unsubscribe” option in any electronic communication, or by contacting us as outlined in the Your Rights section below.
- In order to comply with our legal obligations, enforce or apply the Vitae Website User Terms and Conditions and other agreements, and in order to protect our rights or property and those of third parties.
- If you are a Vitae member we may use some of your personal data in our membership directory. This is a directory open to other Vitae members and is a facility designed to promote networking between our members. We will only use your personal data in this way if you opt in to showing your data via your user profile. By default you will be opted out of the membership directory.
We may also use your User Data, in an anonymised form which does not identify you, for analytical and research purposes (for example to provide reports on use of the Vitae Website to your organisation and third parties). By submitting your personal information you agree that we may use it for those purposes.
We will contact your organisation, before deleting your personal information, to give you an opportunity to obtain a copy of your personal information before it is deleted.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and for the purposes set out below. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- If CRAC or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, personal information held by it about the users of the Vitae Website will be one of the transferred assets.
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties engaged to perform maintenance and development of the Vitae Website, or to provide other services in relation to it, solely for the purpose of providing those services.
Microsoft Windows Azure
The Vitae website is an interactive, web-based service hosted on Microsoft Windows Azure, a cloud services platform.
You understand and agree that Microsoft will have access to your personal information (including your User Profile and User Data) on the Vitae website for the purposes of providing the Microsoft Windows Azure service to us. For more information about how Microsoft may use your personal information for this purpose please see the information about Customer Data in the Microsoft Windows Azure Privacy Statement:
Where we store your personal data
If you reside in Europe, your personal information will normally be stored within the European Economic Area, and will not be transferred outside the EEA by us (unless you choose to access your personal information using the Vitae Website outside the EEA). However, you understand and agree that there may be occasions where Microsoft may transfer your personal information outside the EEA, as set out in the Microsoft Privacy Statements linked to above.
Where the Vitae Website contains links to other sites and resources, these are provided by us or (if you are an Organisational Member) by your institution, for your information only. We have no control over sites and resources provided by your organisation or other third parties.
If you follow a link to any website outside the Vitae Website (including our website www.rdfplanner.net) please note that these websites have their own privacy policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the policies of third parties nor for their use of personal data you may submit to their websites.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to an applicable fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Vitae c/o CRAC Ltd
Tel: 01223 460277